Wednesday, January 25, 2012
Dear Jason--
Dear Jason--
Today you told us that you sat by yourself during indoor recess in the "big room" at preschool. This surprised me and immediately I felt worried-- I usually see you walking down the hall after recess with sweaty hair and a big smile on your face! I usually hear your voice coming from the "big room", above all the others, talking and laughing with your friends. You are usually the one who the teacher is reminding to stand still in line, as you are waving to me down the hall. But I guess today was not your usually.
You explained to me and Dad that the other kids were bothering you, "being annoying." They weren't doing anything wrong, you said they just kept saying your name and you didn't like that. I guess you just sat by yourself for awhile. Sounds like you were feeling grumpy. We talked about the importance of still being friendly and polite and following directions, even if you feel annoyed or if other people are doing things you don't like. You agreed with your usual, "okay, mommy, uh-huh, I get it." Always with a sweet nod and calm demeanor.
Honey, I am so proud of you. Making time for yourself to relax and regroup is a great coping skill. Sometimes grumpy moods happen. and that's okay. What is important is that you understand how you are feeling and you take care to still make good choices. You don't have to pretend to be happy if you aren't. But you do need to think about how other people are feeling, as well. Although you might feel annoyed, your friends were probably happy and just wanting to play with you. I imagine that you are a very fun friend! You like to create adventures and take on the role of various characters, like the mommy or the baby or Batman or some woodland creature or, of course, a tiger.
Dad and I have a Parent-Teacher conference with your teacher later this week. I'm sure she will have a lot of detailed observations to share with us. As your parents, we are trying our best to teach and guide and direct you to be your very best. The hardest part for me is learning what is YOUR best versus what I think *should* be your best. I'm quite sure this will be an ongoing lesson for me and I am positive I have (and will) mess up lots! so, thank you- in advance- for giving me grace and trusting me enough to give me so many, many chances! and thank you for telling us about your day- we love you and will always love you through all the usually, sometimes, and hardly evers!
I love you, my son.
love, your Mama
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Missed you, blog friend! Thank you for your open and honest account of what it is like to raise a little one!! Maybe I'll start blogging again too:)
ReplyDelete