Thursday, January 26, 2012

hi, again, son--

hi, again, son--
Well, we just had that Parent-Teacher conference at your preschool.  You are one smart kiddo!  Dad and I   definitely know how artistic you are, but it was so nice to hear your teacher also recognize and appreciate your creativity.  She showed us an awesome picture you drew of your sister- complete with curly pigtails, bows, and eyelashes!
She did, however, also point out how difficult it can be for you to share-- especially any projects you work on in class.  I believe this is connected to your determination and focus and enjoyment of creating art or anything, really.  Whether it's a block tower, a playdoh animal, or a painting-- you know exactly how you want your project to look... and this, I imagine, is why it can be so hard to let go and let others in to share in the experience.  You seem to get very frustrated and anxious if you think someone might change the idea you had in mind.  Oh, Jas-- this is going to be an ongoing lesson we're going to have to learn together.  Allowing others to share in your joy and, more importantly, being able to adapt your ideas to allow others in is super important.

I need to keep reminding myself that Dad and I do have a few years to help you learn how to master these "life skills."  But, gosh, I feel the pressure right now!  Kindergarten is right around the corner... and it's kind of a whole new world.  Your teacher has no concerns about your academics-- kiddo, you can draw a triangle with the best of them!  You can write letters, count, understand opposites, cut a wonderfully straight line.  What she is a bit worried about, though, is how you are going to get along with all the other kids in Kindergarten.  and, I imagine, there is going to be a lot of them!

I only *WISH* that every single person you interact with would see right through to your enthusiasm and curiosity and innocent energy.  But, instead, I fear that they'll get stopped before they even get the chance.  I know you know this-- your busy, spirited little body tends to move itself into other people's space.  You so desperately want to interact with others, but it comes across as patting someone on their head over and over... or making silly sounds right in their face... or jumping your bouncy ball right on top of theirs.  Thankfully, most kids are forgiving and you'll get a second chance and third and, hopefully, fourth chance to show them you can share and be calm and cooperate and take turns and incorporate their ideas with your own.  But I think this is something you'll/we'll have to keep practicing.

I believe 100% that God designed you with the exact combination of all the qualities and quirks that He knew, without a doubt, would make you the perfect addition to this world and His Kingdom.  My son, *you* are such a blessing to us!  We're in this life thing together-- and we'll all keep working to guide you towards your best.  All the while, I'll keep asking God to give me lots of patience and a joyful optimism that He has all of this already figured out!

with all my love,  your Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment